The First Forza Horizon Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFHCC Website

SOAPBOX DERBY

Go down 
+3
Rob
Trey W.
Andy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

Gamertag : B Wald Big Mek

Tokens : 13

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:18 am

Who'd like to take part in a Soapbox Derby? Anyone interested please post! I've tentatively selected Monday, August 20th at 8 pm EST, let me know if this works. PEACE

-Andy
Back to top Go down
Trey W.
Trey W.

Gamertag : xFHCCxTreyGT1x

Tokens : 12

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:01 am

I would love to join ya, cause I've been practicing, it will be 7 my time, but I will set a date in my calendar, plus it gives me a chance to try out my Chrome Controller in live action racing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/gt1man
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Awesome. I commend you for practicing. Not as easy as you'd think, eh?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Owner
Owner
Rob

Gamertag : l Digitized l

Tokens : 785

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 7:50 pm

How would this work?

I'm interested Smile
Back to top Go down
https://fhcc.forumotion.net
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 pm

I've put the details on how to soapbox in my most recent blog. I'll throw the details up here too, later tonight (just on a break @ work, don't have time ATM)
Back to top Go down
Trey W.
Trey W.

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 8:07 pm

If u ever seen the little kids ride in little box-made cars down a super steep hill, It's the same concept except on the Fujimi Kaido New Hill Climb Track, and we use Manual Clutch with no engine power and our handbrake
EDIT-Fujimi Kaido New Down Hill Track

Last edited by Trey W. on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rob
Owner
Owner
Rob

Gamertag : l Digitized l

Tokens : 785

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Sounds like fun!

There has to be certain specs of course!
Back to top Go down
https://fhcc.forumotion.net
Trey W.
Trey W.

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Andy wrote:
Awesome. I commend you for practicing. Not as easy as you'd think, eh?
I hate racing in Fujimi Kaido, so it was actually a lot easier for me than probably most
Back to top Go down
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 am

Rob wrote:
Sounds like fun!

There has to be certain specs of course!
Indeed! Everyone will be driving the same year/make/model, with no modifications allowed. The only assist that will be allowed is traction control, lmao. Other than that, I'll be watching the replays with telemetry on to spot any cheaters, like I said in the blog.

I'm holding this event just for fun, but if you want to throw in prizes, Rob, like FHCC tokens or something, feel free to do so. A race is always better with a purse for the winner! I hereby announce myself to be inelligible for any prize. If one is added, I will either not take part in the race, or award the prize to the runner-up should I end up winning.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 1:09 am

**SOAPBOXIN': DA ROOLZ**

Everyone will drive a stock '63 Beetle from the manufacturer list. If you have one in your garage that has a custom painjob or whatever, feel free to use it PROVIDED there are no upgrades, not even aftermarket rims (which can add a p.i. point or two).

Competitors start their cars rolling by revving the engine while holding the clutch, cut throttle at 10 mph, and never touch the gas pedal again. Use of handbrake/service brakes IS permitted, however all assists are banned. I suppose you could run with traction control, not that it will actually DO anything.

I've decided that we'll do the race with brakes, as it would be a bad idea to have everyone swerving wildly to slow down while more than one car is on the track. Maybe I'll do an event in the future with no brakes.

The race will be held on Fujimi Kaido New Downhill (sorry Trey). This will be an elimination tournament: The number of heats will equal the number of competitors minus one, with the last-place car eliminated from every race, until the fastest two racers face off. The more people who sign on, the longer the tournament will go on.

I will NOT be racing. I will watch in spectator mode with the telemetry on, swapping between cars, watching for people releasing their clutches. I will also record replays to do the same thing, and review any situation from which complaints arise*. I don't really care if you rev you engine, but I'd rather you didn't. Releasing the clutch is the big no-no: if I see you do it, on the track or in a replay, you will be immediately disqualified. Crashing into opponents will also get you disqualified, the old "rubbing is racing" adage does not apply here (although I agree the rest of the time). Contact with the wall will not disqualify you, but could result in you losing the race.

I hope to run this event on Monday, Aug. 20 at 8pm EST. If we're still racing at midnight, we'll take a vote to either keep racing, or continue at a later date (likely the following Monday). The prize is bragging rights, unless Rob sweetens the pot with some tokens or FHCC "badass points" (stiggybucks?) of some kind. This is gonna be fun!

-B-Wald Big Mek

* if anyone wants to help me with this by watching from their xboxes, pm me. not too many though, you still will be taking up a spot in the lobby, and I don't know how many ppl will sign on to race.
SOAPBOX DERBY Silenceu[/URL]
Back to top Go down
Otiz P Jivefunk
Silver Member
Silver Member
Otiz P Jivefunk

Gamertag : Otiz P Jivefunk

Tokens : 1

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 9:36 am

i disagree with the same make and model. allow anything. Only rules are no engine and keep it to, let's say F-class cars. I've yet to see a derby with everyone in the exact same 'car'. Kinda lame that way.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/FatsPhotography.fat
Trey W.
Trey W.

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 9:40 am

I agree with Otiz and plus that Beetle that you want us to use is download content, that I don't have the cash for right now
Back to top Go down
TheBlackReapr
Community Team
Community Team
TheBlackReapr

Gamertag : The Black Reapr

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 1:00 pm

It has to be the same car guys, it's physics. Someone in an SUV is going to go down a hill much faster than someone in a Miata. It has to be the exact same weight, therefore the exact same car. Since not everybody has the beetle, i recommend the BMW F10 M5. It's heavy, rear wheel, and it's got a good enough diff to keep the car in check with all the G's we'll have. Another problem: If we all start at the same time, it will be a stagger formation, but it's going to be a hassle and a lot of trouble to pass on such narrow roads. I say we have a 10 second roll-off delay between cars and let the race be decided by finishing time, not first across the line. I'm definitely up for this. In order for you (Andy) to spectate properly, somebody else must host the lobby. I'd be glad to, and i already know how, but feel free to elect anybody you'd like to.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Reaper gets it! Having everyone in the same carr means it really does come down to how smooth you are in the corners. Trey has a good point tho, I shouldn't have selected a DLC car. I'd still like to use something small, though. Suggestions are welcome. MX-5? Golf Mk.2?

I was thinking of having a multi-model race next time, if this is popular enough I'd like to run more.

Your feedback is appreciated, keep it coming!
Back to top Go down
TheBlackReapr
Community Team
Community Team
TheBlackReapr

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 4:04 pm

BMW 2002 turbo? Ford Ka? What about the roll off delay?
Back to top Go down
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Good suggestions, I'll add 'em to the list of candidates. Also, I think I'll take you up on your offer to host the lobby.

Using a roll-off delay might be a good idea. Fastest time wins. Slowest time eliminated. I'll take this into heavy consideration.
Back to top Go down
TheBlackReapr
Community Team
Community Team
TheBlackReapr

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks, glad to have your "heavy" consideration Smile I'm really happy with how this is coming together, i commend you on your commitment, and i hope everything runs smoothly!
Back to top Go down
[HOONIGAN]
[HOONIGAN]

Gamertag : SinisterStern

Tokens : 5

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 pm

sweeten the pot. ill donate 10 mil credits to the winner 8] 5 mil credits for the runner up and 2 mil credits for 3rd place king
Back to top Go down
TheBlackReapr
Community Team
Community Team
TheBlackReapr

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 10:12 pm

COPOCrazy wrote:
sweeten the pot. ill donate 10 mil credits to the winner 8] 5 mil credits for the runner up and 2 mil credits for 3rd place king

Excellent! that's kind of you, a little motivation never hurt.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Shangrilama: LEGENDARY STATUS AWARDED. Thanks a million (or 10) for throwing in that purse.

So, here's the deal. Monday Aug.20 (tomorrow), 8 p.m. EST. The Black Reaper shall be the lobby host. Everyone will be driving Chevy Volts. I'll be in the lobby, but not racing, I'll be watching for anyone releasing their clutch. Elimination-style tournament, slowest time eliminated from every heat.

After some playtesting (thanks Trey, Reaper, GodlyGoose), it became clear that avoiding collisions was almost impossible, so we will employ a 5 or 10 second roll-off delay. The winner will be whoever has the lowest overall time, not who finishes first. You may use normal brakes and handbrake, but no engine braking: you may not release the clutch for any reason.

We shall see who is the fastest engineless driver. Thanks for all your interest in my little harebrained idea!
Back to top Go down
Commander Shepard
Moderator - Donor
Moderator - Donor
Commander Shepard

Gamertag : COMANDERSHEPRD

Tokens : 54

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Sounds cool, hate to sound nooby but how can I join up for this or is the event full?
Back to top Go down
Trey W.
Trey W.

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 pm

send any of the mods, or Andy a Friend Request, and then if you are online around 6 your time, we will send you an invite to a party and in game
Back to top Go down
Trey W.
Trey W.

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Andy wrote:
So, here's the deal. Monday Aug.20 (tomorrow), 8 p.m. EST. The Black Reaper shall be the lobby host. Everyone will be driving Chevy Volts. I'll be in the lobby, but not racing, I'll be watching for anyone releasing their clutch. Elimination-style tournament, slowest time eliminated from every heat.

After some playtesting (thanks Trey, Reaper, GodlyGoose), it became clear that avoiding collisions was almost impossible, so we will employ a 5 or 10 second roll-off delay. The winner will be whoever has the lowest overall time, not who finishes first. You may use normal brakes and handbrake, but no engine braking: you may not release the clutch for any reason.

We shall see who is the fastest engineless driver. Thanks for all your interest in my little harebrained idea!

hey meet me online at least 30 minutes before the race, to discuss a couple of things about the race
Back to top Go down
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Yah man. I'll be online in a few.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SOAPBOX DERBY Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOAPBOX DERBY   SOAPBOX DERBY Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SOAPBOX DERBY
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The First Forza Horizon Club :: FHCC :: Forza Motorsport 4 Events-
Jump to: