The First Forza Horizon Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFHCC Website

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Andy
Community Team
Community Team
Andy

Gamertag : B Wald Big Mek

Tokens : 13

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 Empty
PostTuesday, October 16, 2012

B-Wald's blog, Tuesday, October 16, 2012

HEY KIDZ! I haven't blogged in quite some time, and with our beloved FH coming out in just one week, I thought it a good time to resume.

Like I just said, ONE WEEK REMAINING! Man, it feels like yesterday it was late May, I heard about FH for the first time, and thought to myself "Damn, I gotta wait ALL SUMMER!" I actually took on extra shifts at work to make the time go by faster.

Now, there's a crispness in the air, pumpkins adorn the doorsteps of the homes on my street, and dry, dead leaves litter the ground everywhere, leaving skeletal trees twitching in the 45~50-mph wind that screams against my window as I write this. Autumn is here, and our game has shipped. One week.

What did you all think of the demo? In the end I give it two thumbs up. I say, "in the end", because for the first ten minutes or so I was quite heartbroken, to be perfectly honest. This was for two different reasons.

First, when you start the short, 1-mile-or-so sprint against Darius while driving the yellow Viper, I thought we were going to be forced to use all the assists and couldn't change anything, even the music volume. This was alleviated when we were given the Lancer and access to the difficulty menu.

This led to the second phase of disappointment: I wasn't playing an exact copy of FM4 on the open road, which is what I'd been led to believe I would be getting, by both T10 and PG staff (i.e. Dan & Ralph), and multiple hands-on reviews.

I wasn't sure at first, as that first race is on gravel, but once I was thrashing the Lancer on the blacktop, I could tell that it was different. I was mad. So, I parked the car (literally- I reversed perfectly into a parking spot at the diner at the SE of the demo map), paused the game, and had a smoke while thinking about this new driving experience.

It didn't take long for me to come around. If this game hadn't had the name "Forza" on it, and I hadn't read all the reviews or listened to the half-truths spouted by Dan & Ralph, this demo would have had me grinning like an idiot from the very first second. There IS enough of the Forza DNA to make it feel reasonably realistic, there's just a little too much grip, the brakes are a little too good, and the crash physics are stupidly forgiving (a 90-mph impact with a Lancer can cause a 5-ton delivery truck to fly backwards down the street? Really?).

When you put it up against any other open-world driving game, Horizon's demo alone wins hands-down. If the TDU games had had physics and graphics like this, no one would have complained. Some may argue the absence of TRUE off-roading is a deal breaker, but given the car list it makes perfect sense. While there are some who would attempt to drive a Pagani Huyara through the underbrush, most of them are not true car fans.

Also, It's worth noting that these may not be the physics of the full game. One of the FM games (either 3 or 4) had a crap-handling demo that people complained about, but the finished product delivered. Since most of the reviewers were actually playing the final build of the game, not the demo, this could explain alot.

So, while I have fallen well and truly in love with the demo, I do still have some minor gripes, and one major beef based on something I heard about the full game.

Minor: No horn, turn signals or highbeam functions, despite the fact Ralph mentioned some of these functions in an article with IGN a while back. Perhaps they'll be in the full game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Music selection is limited: Rock and Metal music is woefully under-represented. PLENTY of car fans and gamers love them some classic rock, old-school metal, and even 50's greaser tunes. They can include all the dubstep, alt-rock and bizarre stuff the kiddies love, but don't deny us our conventional music. Hip-hop is also conspicuously absent.

My final minor gripe is that the car list is rather small, and quite euro-centric. There's only 20-ish American cars, a similar number of JDMs, yet there are over 60 vehicles from Europe. I love cars of all types, from all regions, but a car festival in Colorado would be CRAWLING with Musclecars and JDMs. You'd be much more likely to see a Skyline or Oldsmobile 442 than you would a Reventon or Enzo. This can be corrected with DLC, however.

My one major complaint, and it's a doozie, it that there is apparently NO CIVILIAN TRAFFIC WHEN MULTIPLAYER FREE-ROAMING. This was a total punch to the mouth for me. Weaving through traffic with friends was in the top 3 things I was looking forward to doing in this game. I'm praying they'll fix this with a patch.

Anyway, this game is still gonna be a 9/10 for me I think. Don't let the negativity in my blog here give you the wrong impression: I've put more time into the demo alone than I've put into some games I have the full versions of. This game may turn out to be the greatest time-waster for me in the past decade. I just thought I'd talk honestly about my thoughts, rather than just gush like a moron over how pretty the demo is (it IS very, very pretty...)

I'll finish by sharing some neat demo tips I've either read about, been told about, or found myself:

-There's a hidden STM assist. To turn it off, set the OVERALL game difficulty to "Expert", then pick your individual assist levels (transmission, A.I, etc). This will turn off the hidden STM assist and make it feel more Forza-ey.

-Go into the controls menu, and access "Advanced Options" by pressing X. Set the "inner deadzone" for steering and brakes to zero, and the "outer deadzone" for the same functions to 95. this will make the steering and brakes more sensitive, and make the drive feel even MORE Forza-ey.

-You can free-roam in the area with the large dam in the Viper by completing the Viper street race (3rd and final race in the demo), then re-entering the race in rivals mode. (thanks Trey)

-You can jump almost immediately to free-roam mode by quitting the "Recaro Rush" race as soon as it starts. The only things you are really FORCED to do is watch the music video and race Darius for a mile.

-You can repair your car by pausing, entering the difficulty menu, and flicking cosmetic damage off and on. This is better than just driving with it off in my opinion, because you get the satisfaction of denting bodywork and shattering glass when you wreck.

Whoo, this was a long one, thanks for reading! I'll see y'all in fake-Colorado in a week or so.

-B Wald

Last edited by Andy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 :: Comments

Trey W.
Re: Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:22 am by Trey W.
Don't know if it was mentioned, but you can also free-roam with the Viper, by going the opposite direction of Darius, and ignoring your GPS
Andy
Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:28 am by Andy
Indeed, I thought about putting that in there, but who wants to play with all assists on, the music blaring, and that damn GPS robot voice talking at you Razz (thanks though)
Trey W.
Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:29 am by Trey W.
your welcome on both acccounts
Tolsmir
Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 am by Tolsmir
I would have to completely agree with your blog post here B Wald, though I will say that even with the slightly too easy controls I was completely in love with this demo from the moment the Recaro Rush event started. Why, you might ask? One reason, Forza had a Dirt/Gravel track finally and I knew as soon as I was done I wouldn't be ported back to a menu to choose my next track! Let me go ahead and get this out of the way; FREE ROAM FORZA FOR THE FRAKING WIN!

Ok, I'm mostly better now. Still grinning like an idiot but better now. I am completely in sync with your major gripe of there being no traffic in online free roam but at the same time, I somehow don't think that it is going to keep us from enjoying sliding around corners with each other. That and the game types like King and Infected in a more open area are going to more than make up for the lack of traffic in my honest opinion.

As to your minor completes, I am also in agreement here on most of them. No horn was a big let down to me and I'm hoping maybe it just didn't make it into the demo. As for indicators and high beams, not as important but would have still been fun.

The music, in my opinion, is spot on. Then again, I'm one of those EDM nuts so the fact that I have an entire radio station devoted to my style of music bloody awesome. I think the lack of good classic rock in this stems from the fact that they hard a European DJ to "curate" the track list. His seems extremely in tune with the EDM and Indie music scenes (I haven't personally listened to the "Horizon Pulse" station much, so someone correct me if I'm wrong here) but seems a bit out of touch when it comes to the Rock 'n' Roll. There were so many obvious choices to me for the "Horizon Rocks" station (Queen, Soft Cell, Golden Earing, Three Dog Night, and some other "hard" rock choices) that weren't used that it just seems like they threw that station in as an after thought. "Oh hey, we have these players that may like rock instead of Indie music or EDM. Maybe we should make a station for them. Mr. Rob da Bank, can you through some songs together for a rock station right quick?" As for the lack of Hip Hop, I can't honestly say I'm disappointed. I cannot stand most of it, especially the stuff that starts leaning more into Rap, mainly because I cannot stand the fact that, on the normal radio, every other word is bleeped out (or so it seems). Thinking about it more, that may in fact be why its not really represented here. All that cursing might have meant Horizon merited a "M" rating for strong language instead of the "T" rating it currently has.

As for the car list, I am indeed disappointed in it but there is going to be 12 months of DLC and an expansion for the game. I can only hope they add more muscle and JDM cars with those. That being said, Playground is based in the UK and many of their game guys are from studios such as Codemasters and Criterion. With such a strong Euro influence in their programming/design staff, I'm not surprised to see a Euro skew to the car list. Another thing to note is the sales figures for FM4;

Quote :
Total Units

North America: 0.75m 30.9%
+ Europe: 1.35m 55.8%
+ Japan: 0.04m 1.7%
+ Rest of the World: 0.28m 11.6%
= Global 2.41m

Most of their sales are from the European region, which could also explain the skew. In their minds, more Euro folks play Forza games so there should be more European cars in our games.

I think in the end, my biggest complaint with the car list is that there seems to be an over abundance of "Supercars." I know that they are super cool and everything but I'm sorry, rich billionaires do not normally attend music festivals, in Colorado or else where (maybe Ibiza, but thats an island meant for the Richie Riches of the world, so). I think that they should included more "normal" cars. The "Boy Racer" cars, tuner cars, classic cars, etc instead of a plethora of high horsepower, ultra rare cars that are only made by the handful. I would have loved to see the new Dodge Dart in the list as well as the Neon SRT4, some of the older Civics, the newer Altima's, maybe a Corolla or two. All those cars, once they've been lovingly upgraded and painted are all cars that I could totally see someone rolling up to a Car Culture meets Music Culture festival. I'm not saying you wouldn't see a couple of the "super cars" that made it into Horizon but you definitely wouldn't see the sea of them that are currently represeneted.

This brings me to what my own major complain is. From what I have seen in the Photo Gallery Thread on the official forums, there isn't much in the way of new body kits and rim options. If I were to go to any car show, much less one that was also encompassed by a giant music festival, I'd expect to see the bleeding edge of body kits and design. Therefore I'd expect a much bigger selection of body kits and rim options in Horizon. Noticeably lacking to me are the wide body kits that I love to see, especially on some of the JDM cars. These kits give the car a much more aggressive look, most of the time, and just make the curves of a car that much sexier to me. Its a shame to think that T10 and Playground didn't do anymore with this section of the game but I can only hope its because the green disc jocks didn't want to show off too much of the new stuff. Maybe somewhere down the road they'll release a pack that has more design option it it too. Who knows, but I hope that there are more than FM4, either that aren't being shown by the green disc holders or that will be added in the future.

I cannot wait for the 23rd to get here. I'm beyond ready to race along the open roads of Horizon and have more fun than any mere mortal should be allowed to! See you guys there!
Post  by Sponsored content

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Page 1 of 1